Monday, February 20, 2012

Weekend Sewing-- rainbows and scrap busting

My scraps are becoming a problem. I have 12 clear shoe boxes filled with them, separated by color. But over the last year or so I've also accumulated baskets and bags full that I haven't had the energy to sort out. Honestly, they're taking over my sewing room. And I hate it.

I'm sure if you hang out on flickr or read other quilt blogs, you've seen the awesome granny square quilts that are popping up everywhere. I love them! They use scraps! Perfect! I decided I'd go all out and make a twin sized quilt for Claire out of the blocks. So on Saturday morning I set about cutting 2.5" squares. I'm embarassed to say that I cut only eight before I thought I might go crazy. There are 25 of those squares required for each 9" block.

Enter in the huge, scrappy, rainbow log cabin.

scrappy rainbow log cabin quilt


I started with a big piece of Heather Ross blue ponies (one of Claire's favorites) and worked my way out with green, yellow, orange, red, and purple logs.

scrappy rainbow log cabin quilt


I'll admit that I thought it was really ugly when I first started. The different shades of green clashed badly. But I kept going. And now I love it. The only thing I wish I had done differently would be to make the blue starting block more scrappy. It measures 68 by 88 inches, just right for a twin size bed.

scrappy rainbow log cabin quilt


Of course this quilt top didn't solve my scrap problems. In fact, it may have made it worse. They're covering the sewing room! Whoops. Time to go do some clean up.

21 comments:

Jen said...

http://www.inbetweenstitches.com/items/heartfire.aspx This is another great scrapbuster! It is beautiful in the French General on the cover - but it's awesome with moderns/brights, too!

Amy Friend said...

Oh, Claire is going to love sleeping under that quilt!

Laura said...

Such a great idea!

Julie said...

One of the best scrap busting quilts I have seen! Sure to become a favorite.

Heidi Staples said...

This is an absolute delight! Now I need one of my own...

MariQuilts said...

Looks great. I know what you mean about the scrap thing...it was getting to me today as well. It's only going to get worse....every project just creates more scraps. Help!!

Anna said...

it's awesome! I can see how my girls would totally totally love a quilt like that. Plus it's so bright and cheery!

Jenny said...

i really love this krista...you really worked your scraps...but i can only guess the scraps it created!!

Unknown said...

I think this is pretty awesome too Krista!

rachael {imagine gnats} said...

looks great! i love it :)

mle said...

That is super cool!!! Nice job!

Jolene said...

I absolutely love this quilt! LOVE!!

tiffany said...

Oh my word - it is beautiful! Breathtaking... truly.

Leslie said...

this is so pretty i love it!!! i have a soft spot for ROYGBIV anything!!

Poppyprint said...

You totally crack me up that you only cut a few squares before going crazy!! I love that you made this huge quilt in a weekend - wow!!

Lauri said...

I just found your blog because of your quilt that was featured MQG blog...which I love! And now I am in love with your rainbow quilt!

PS: I also have a daughter named Claire. ;)

Unknown said...

This is genius.

felicity said...

The first thing I thought when I saw that those granny squares require 2.5" squares was 'if I used 5" charms, those blocks could get really big really fast!' Not that I've gone past the thought stage.

I do love this scrappy quilt. There might be hope for me and my scraps yet....

Jen B said...

What a fun quilt!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Thanks for including your story about the stalled granny square project =). Keeping it real! The quilt you ended up with is definitely a beauty.

Hitch and Thread said...

It's lovely