Monday, March 26, 2012

weekend sewing

I was a sewing "machine" this weekend. he he

I finally finished sewing the last of the 4" blocks for my Oakshott diamond quilt and started laying them out.

Oakshott triangle progress

This is only 135 of the 196 triangles, thrown up randomly. I'll need to set up a bigger design wall! Or maybe just start sewing them up and add more later. I'm going to lose a lot of size in the seam allowances.

Modern cross blocks

The next thing I worked on was a quilt top for a family member who is about to begin breast cancer treatment. I have so much more to say about that, but maybe later when the quilt is completed. The pattern is a modification of Susan Beal's "Modern Crosses" from her book Modern Log Cabin Quilting. More on the details of that later too.

modern crosses, laying it out

modern crosses, top

modern crosses, top

I hope you had a great weekend!

10 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh wow, looking good machine! ;) Prayers for your family member, I'm sure you have much stress right now. Isn't it wonderful to have a hobby that can provide comfort to both you and your recipient.

**nicke... said...

oh krista! i am so sorry to hear about your family member. i am so glad you are making a quilt for her though, i am sure she will cherish it. it is beautiful.

Julierose said...

I know those crosses will help your family member through her impending troubles; it is so uplifting with those colorways. Best to all Julierose

Tamie said...

Love these- especially the cross quilt. Thoughts and prayers are sent to surround your family member as she makes this journey.

Debbie said...

what great colors in both your projects!

Mary Menzer said...

Working on a quilt for a family member with breast cancer is truly difficult. You have a good heart.

Love the fabric choices in those crosses.

Leanne said...

Both those quilts are lovely. I made the Modern Crosses last summer and I wish I had done the modification you have used, it is far faster with the same look in the end. The triangles are lovely too.

Unknown said...

fantastic weekend!

wish mine had been like that... sigh...

Carla said...

love those cross blocks. Hope all goes well with you and yours.

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

This Oakshott quilt-to-be is just completely and utterly incredible and YOU GOT 2/33 of the quilts in the show. KRISTA???!!! You are da BOMB!!! Congratulations over and over and over. XXX