Thursday, August 12, 2010

on my design wall


I couldn't get this particular combo out of my head the other night, so yesterday I started cutting and sewing. The blocks measure 13" square, and I'm hoping to make something BIG. Like either a twin size quilt or a huge family lap quilt. I think I have enough fabric precut to make it something like 74" by 98 " if I want to.


One thing that's really frustrated me though with this piecing, that I realized too late on my bee blocks too, is that the fabric isn't feeding correctly and I'm getting ruffles. I've adjusted my tension, pressure foot, etc. and haven't found the correct combo yet. Any tips on what might be the culprit? I switched to my accufeed foot and that solves the problem, but I prefer to not use that for basic piecing. It's clunky.

I've put that on hold today though to get the girls' room in order before we start school next week. We've purged, folded, stacked, and sorted. New school clothes (not just skinny jeans for Claire, but SUPER skinny jeans, which blows my mind due to her love of cozy pants) are in the wash. Now we just need the cool green desks I ordered to arrive, and everything will be complete in there. I'm so excited!  

Just for fun (and for the relatives)-- photos of the kids from this week:



10 comments:

Amy Friend said...

I love the colors in your new quilt! It's wonderful that you have enough material to make it so large. I had trouble arriving at the right tension at first too. Mine was resolved by rethreading and paying more attention to holding the thread taut while pulling it through the tension.

Rossie said...

Have you changed the needle and/or tried a different spool of thread (top & bottom)?

I love the gold and aqua!

Leslie said...

those are some seriously awesome blocks. i love the color combo and those mermaids...oh those mermaids...they are one of my favorites.

Dani said...

I'll add to the compliments on your color combo. Mustardy yellows and those grey-blues are so appealing to me as of late.

I hate it when my machine is being fussy with the whole tension thing. I had some issues a while back. I'm not even sure how I fixed it (helpful, aren't I?), but it eventually worked itself out.

Your kiddos are quite the cuties.

Anna said...

love the quilt blocks, just beautiful! I love those desks, too, great find! I can't wait until my girls are old enough and interested in desks and stuff like that. :) I noticed you're in AK, I lived up in Fairbanks for a summer when I was in college, I really want to go back someday.

misschris said...

Beautiful color blocks! Those mermaids are one of my favorite prints out there. Bravo!

Bummer about the tension, though. Can't help you there at all. Certainly hope you can figure it out! xo

Poppyprint said...

That's going to be a gorgeous quilt, Krista! I would agree with Rossie and see if a new needle helps. I get some unexplained ruffling on my old machine, but I always chalk it up to 'old machine syndrome'. If you figure it out, let us know what worked! Good luck!

Mary said...

LOVE the color combo in your new blocks!

Micki said...

Beautiful colours in your new quilt and love the pics of your kids!
Micki

knottygnome said...

are you using the quarter inch foot? i had problems with that one too. there's a known issue with it and janome will be sending replacements. there's all kinds of info on the janome7700 yahoo group