Thursday, October 8, 2015

a feather quilt

mini rainbow feather quilt

I think I've said this a zillion times--  writing a book is no joke! But I am so excited that my book, Beyond Cotton, is almost out and that I'll get to see the first copies at Quilt Market in two weeks! You can see some sneak peeks of the pages and projects on the Lucky Spool site too. I'll be sharing more of the projects on here very soon.


Now that it's wrapped up and the kids are back in school, I've had a bit more time for new projects. I joined the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt swap on Instagram and decided to make a version of Anna Maria Horner's Feather Bed Quilt (I was going to link it up, but it looks like her website is getting a bit of work done). My partner likes bright and bold fabrics, so I used a mix of shot cottons (my favorite) and some Cotton + Steel basics on an Ivory Essex linen. 

mini rainbow feather quilt

The free pattern calls for strip piecing a grouping of fabrics, then cutting the feather sections out using a template. Since I knew I wanted each feather to have different fabrics, I ended up using the template as a guide for paper piecing. I cut each fabric into a strip that was about 1-2'' wide and 6 inches long, stitched and flipped them one by one until the template was covered, then trimmed the feather to size. It went very quickly! It's a technique I'd use again.

mini rainbow feather quilt
mini rainbow feather quilt
mini rainbow feather quilt

I quilted it with my latest favorite design, a diagonal grid.

mini rainbow feather quilt

It's backed with a bold print from Heather Ross' Briar Rose line and bound in more Cotton + Steel.

mini rainbow feather quilt
mini rainbow feather quilt

With the extra time, I'm also starting to restock my neglected etsy shop with items like these watercolor dyed pouches. 

watercolor pouches

It's fun to get back to it! I hope you are all enjoying some creative time as well. 

11 comments:

Hope Hunter Knight said...

Just beautiful! I hope to learn to quilt in my retirement. Is this for sale in your shop as well?

Leslie said...

this quilt is beautiful!! and congrats on the book, that is really cool

sew katie did said...

Can't wait to see the book. Congrats:)

Dawn said...

I do love your feathers! Bright and happy and great choice of fabrics. The pouches are gorgeous! Do you hand dye the fabric?

Betty said...

I've been following your stamped work for a while now and am so happy to hear of your new book!!!

Unknown said...

This book looks really interesting! I look forward to getting to browse it

Rebekah of The Little Red Thread said...

The feathers came out so gorgeous! Love them!!

trudys_person said...

I can't wait to see your book Krista! Congratulations! See you next week ...

CAESAR SHOP said...

Thank you for sharing in this article
I can learn a lot and could also be a reference
I hope to read the next your article updates

[-] Vimax Asli
[-] Vimax
[-] Vimax Canada
[-] Obat Vimax
[-] Pembesar Penis

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is beautiful!

Regina said...

What kind of Rotary Cutter is that with the holes in the handle? It looks like it keeps the hand stable and lessen the grip you have to put on it....just guessing lol I have RA and when it's acting up and I have a deadline for something, it can become pretty painful if my finger joints are inflammed.
Love that Feather Quilt and the Pouches with the fabric you dyed...beautiful job!!