Thursday, February 28, 2013

QuiltCon, part 3- Freezer Paper Piecing

My third workshop at QuiltCon, besides the printing ones, was Freezer Paper Piecing with Penny Layman of SewTakeAHike.


Her assistant Tara was on hand to help. 


I've "known" Penny for years through blogging and Flickr and have always been so impressed by the paper pieced blocks she creates. Over the past couple of years, I've been able to figure out how to paper piece to a degree and can even design my own blocks. But for some reason using freezer paper always confused me. I'm a visual learner, so I was really excited to sign up for this workshop.

Well, Penny made it easy. Easy to make something from a pattern...



... and easy to sew y-seams. Yes, Y-SEAMS. This took like 5 minutes.


We didn't have time to get to curved seams, but I've got Penny's presentation on a CD that is sure to unlock any mysteries.

Don't the blocks all together from the class look amazing?



Penny and Tara were so sweet. I don't think they make them nicer. It was fun learning from them in the workshop AND hanging out with them outside the conference. Thanks ladies! xoxo

6 comments:

Anna said...

love reading your posts about quiltcon, so cool. Penny is awesome! I also loved your last post with your artwork in it. I loved printmaking in college, wish I could go back and do more. Hey, maybe I will!

sewtakeahike said...

Yay for y-seams!!! Krista is was so fun to finally meet you too and spend time with you and get to see your daughter and meet your mom! Make sure you tell her thank you for introducing me to bathtub laundry! xo

Poppyprint said...

That's a class I would have definitely enjoyed! I love all of the blocks and that Y-seam practice is perfect!

ayumills said...

It's so nice to read your posts about your experience at quiltcon! I can't begin how fun it must be to meet up friends you've known for a while and to sew with them! I wish I were there to take Penny's class! Penny and Tara must be such great teachers!

Dianne said...

Love those little Y seam circles! Sounds like it was a great class.

Unknown said...

Amazing!!