Sunday, March 18, 2012
weekend sewing and blog tweaking
I'm suffering from a bit of insomnia lately, leaving me lots of extra time in the really, really early morning hours to think of things I want to do-- baby projects, home improvements, spring cleaning, etc. The list goes on and on. But in the meantime, I have bee blocks to catch up on and I don't want to stop playing with my new Oakshott shot cottons, paired with some neutral-ish fabrics from my stash.
I cut out my fabrics using Tri Recs templates. Once I calculated that I'd need 196 triangles and 392 half rectangles, I started to freak out a little. I'm not patient with cutting. But it wasn't that bad! And now I've pieced quite a few blocks. Things are coming together nicely and I'm enjoying the process. Phew. The Oakshotts are a dream to work with.
One thing I'm going to be slowly tweaking over the next couple of weeks is my blog design. I'm trying to clean things up, change out graphics, and maybe add some extra pages. I wasn't very good at organizing and tagging when I first started blogging, and I'd like to make it easier for readers to find information. I started with a new blog header for spring that has some of my favorite quilts.
Also, a very kind reader emailed recently and informed me that the photos in my posts are so big that they're crashing her browser! I started linking my photos from flickr a couple of months ago because I was having issues with fuzzy resolution. At the same time, I stopped using picasa for editing and was just pretty much uploading photos as is from my camera, then tweaking them in Picnik. The sizes were huge. HUGE. Like 6MG per photo. Ack. I just assumed that they got downsized when they uploaded to flickr, but that was very wrong! Anyway, I'm fixing that. I'll be editing all photos and saving them for the web in Photoshop Elements before I upload them. Everything should load much more smoothly from this point on. If my blog has been crashing your browser, I apologize.