Friday, July 30, 2010

free-motion and a mini


After the kids went to bed last night I finally got brave enough to try free-motion quilting on my new machine. It took a few tweeks with the thread tension and sewing speed, but once it was just right I was totally amazed-- I could never get even stitches on my old machine like this.


Even the back looks good. No eyelashing!


Granted, this is a mini quilt and only about the size of a placemat so it was easy to keep control of things. But I'm relieved to see good results. There is a yahoo group for the Janome Horizon that has seemed to focus on problems more than successes. If you've been looking and seen these too, don't be discouraged. After a few weeks of reading I've come to see that a lot of the issues stem from not adjusting the machine's settings, and there are more glowing reports every day on what the machine can do. Leah Day of the fabulous 365 Days of Free Motion Quilting just bought one too! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a new machine.

4 comments:

Lucia said...

Krista -- your FMQ looks great! Interesting to know that Leah bought one. I'll have to catch myself up on her blog. From what I'd read of her before she isn't into *fancy* machines, (she has said she likes just the basic stitches on a good solid machines), so it's interesting that she got the Horizon.

Our Little Finch Flock said...

Looks Great!

Unknown said...

how lovely!

Does your machine regolate the stitch length then? how does it work? I'm curious because although I love my machine I'd love to upgrade a little...

Micki said...

I love your mini quilt, and your free motion quilting is wonderful!
Micki